The California Beach

The California Beach

Search This Blog

Monday 7 June 2010

Latest News

Haven't posted here in a while but I've still been doing the odd little bit of work on the van.    Since last I posted I've varnished the kitchen pod and added some galvinized steel plating to the insides of the hob partition.  I've also added magnetic fastners on the tops of the doors which helps to keep them in place although I think I might stick some on the bottoms of the doors as well to seal them tighter. 


The kitchen pod is pretty much done now.

The kitchen pod is now loaded up with all our camping gear - gas bottles, gas hob, Bluecat gas heater, water bottle, washing up bowl, cutlery, plates and mugs.  All basically ready to go.  It's living in the shed and just needs to be wheeled out when we want to put it into the van.

As yet I still haven't got a good method to secure it in the van, although I have had lots of ideas.  I'm just not settled on one solution yet.  I plan to bungee it in place for the moment, when travelling and then just take the bungees off when we arrive.   It can stay pushed up against the van wall when we are not using it and then be pulled forward a smidge when we want to cook - so as to allow the hob top to open fully.   Not an ideal solution but it works for now.


Gave the van a really good clean this week.  Came up sparkling.  Makes such a difference.

Up in the 'loft' I have finished my bed extension.  It's simply a 18mm bit of plywood with a thick foam wedge glued onto it.   It extends the default bed by 17cm, which is enough to make all the difference, I think.  This should let me lie on my back and not have my knees and feet restricted by the roof height.   I'm hopeful it will really make a difference, although it's not been tested by a sleep over - yet.

Today I have booked the van into have Cruise Control added next week.  I had it on my last car and really miss it on long journeys down the motorways.  I think it will be invaluable for our European Tour in the autumn and really make the long drives even more easy and relaxing.  Should be a great addition.    Just a shame I can't get it done this week ready for our trip to Wales at the weekend.

I'm planning on getting some lowering springs fitted next month too - the last mod I need to make before we go on our Tour I feel.  Just to improve the handling and general ride quality as we'll be in the van for so long.  Should also help us to get into any height restricted places too!   Lowering 40mm is my plan.  Now I just have to find a supplier and someone who'll fit the springs.   I feel a Brickyard search coming on!


Want to lower the van by about 40mm.

This weekend coming we are off to Wales for a few waves (swell permitting).   Should be a perfect opportunity to test out the new bed extension and of course the kitchen pod in anger.  I'll write a report of how we got on next week, probably whilst the van is in on Monday having the cruise control fitted in fact!

No comments:

Post a Comment