The California Beach

The California Beach

Search This Blog

Saturday 21 August 2010

Kitchen Pod Attachment

After many months thinking about how to attach my kitchen pod into the van I've finally decided on the approach to use.  I got a very helpful message from Mr Hedgehog (great name!) on the Brickyard suggesting that I use rivetnuts to bolt the pod into the wall of the van.   He then went on to explain what these nuts were and how they worked and then extremely generously offered to lend me his rivetnut gun to use!     How could I refuse?

Basically, for those like me who don't know what a rivetnut is, you drill a hole in the interior metal skin of the van and then push one of these rivetnuts into the hole.   You then use this special rivetnut gun tool to compress the nut such that it pinches itself around the metal skin and basically won't come out.   The rivetnut is hollow with a 6mm screw thread on the inside - meaning you can thread a 6mm bolt into the rivetnut and it will hold it tight.  The great thing about this is that when bolted in the pod will be extremely secure and not move around, but will be really easy to remove by simply undoing the bolts.

So, I've now drilled three holes into the metal skin along the top of the panel under the drivers side window.  Into these I've popped three rivetnuts ready to accept 6mm bolts.    So now all I need to do is drill holes into the cabinet and bolt it right into the wall of the van.  Importantly, when the pod is out of the van, all you see on the wall of the van is three really neat looking metal nuts in the skin of the van wall.    I didn't take any pictures last night when I did this but will add some later.

Of course nothing is as simple as that.   If I did bolt the cabinet right into the van wall I'd no longer be able to open the sliding window that the cabinet would be bolted up against.   So to make this work I need to put a wooden batton in the back of the cabinet and bolt through the cabinet, and through this wooden batton and into the rivetnuts on the van wall.   I'm planning to do this during the week ready for a camping trip next weekend.

Thanks heaps to Mr Hedgehog for the loan of the rivetnut gun!  I'll post a follow up with pictures when I finally bolt the cabinet in.

No comments:

Post a Comment