The California Beach

The California Beach

Search This Blog

Thursday 12 November 2009

Venting the Battery

After reading about charging my battery it became clear you definitely need to properly vent them when charging them, as they give off poisonous gasses. So I emailed Alpha Batteries who sold me the battery, with some questions about venting. They came back with a reply almost straight away. I'm posting them here to help anyone else as clueless as me. My questions are in italics, their answers in bold.

Where are the vent holes for this battery? I see no vent holes, unless the two half cm sized holes up near the top, one on each side, could be them?
The two small 0.5cm holes in the top of the battery are the vents.

The battery came with no pipe to connect up to any vent holes. Do I need to buy one? Fashion one myself?
You need to connect a pipe up to them to vent them. When fitted inside a van, these should be vented to the outside.

In what sort of environment can I safely charge this battery without special venting? Can I leave it in my kitchen or will that poison us? Does it need to be charged outside?
The battery should not be charged indoors, unless perhaps with a window open.
Best place to charge it is a garage or shed.

Alpha Batteries are sending me a spare bit of piping free of charge just as part of their after sales care. Good service I'd say. They got the battery to me next day and have just said that the pipes will be with me tomorrow. I would recommend them.

No comments:

Post a Comment