The California Beach

The California Beach

Search This Blog

Friday 15 January 2010

Gel Battery Arrives

After learning about how normal acid batteries need venting when being charged, and that gel batteries do not and can also be installed on their sides I asked Alpha Batteries, who I had bought my acid battery from, if I could swap batteries. They agreed and the order was placed. Due to all the snow the new gel battery kept getting delayed but it finally arrived here this week.



I immediately hooked it up to my charger and found it was, not surprisingly, running at 60% charge, so I stuck it on to charge overnight. The charger decided the battery could do with a recondition, which is apparently not uncommon on batteries that have been stored unused for a time, and it ran through a complete recondition in my lounge overnight. No heating issues and no venting needed. Excellent.



This evening, then, I hooked it up to the new 12v cooler/heater that my mum- and dad-in-law got me for Christmas, and it worked a treat. Really pleased with the cooler and am looking forward to sticking some beers in there for a camping trip!



That's Phase One of the Leisure Battery Project complete (for the second, non-acid-battery, time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment