The California Beach

The California Beach

Search This Blog

Friday 9 April 2010

Royal Kitchen Stand

As an alternative to making my own Kitchen Cabinet, I'm thinking of just buying this Royal Kitchen Unit for £65 plus delivery.



It pretty much ticks all the boxes I was hoping to achieve with a custom built one:
  • Space to put my existing gas hob on top (plus the added bonus of a built in splash screen which will help protect the inside of the van when cooking bacon in the mornings!)
  • Space for 2 gas cylinders in the bottom.
  • Easy running of gas pipe from gas bottle to hob (it's designed to do this).
  • A washing up sink built in.
  • A worksurface built in.
  • Shelving for all my camping kitchen bits and pieces like pans and crockery.
  • Somewhere to hang kitchen utensils.
  • Portable - it is fold up and it even comes with its own carrying bag.
  • Size-wise it fits nicely into the space I have assigned it to go - opposite the sliding door.
  • Looking at the frame it should be easy to bungee it in place for driving - those aluminum poles look well capable of having bungees wrapped around them.
  • It's also probably cheaper than what it would cost me to make a wooden cabinet when you take into account the base materials, then primer and fablon (if I take the same approach as the rear cabinet).
  • Plus it's professionally made which is more than can be said for my work!
  • It can be here in a matter of days rather than the weeks it will take me to build one.
  • There is a whole range so we could also pick up a Royal Camping Wardrobe for example, at £55 plus delivery, as one of the things we found was that the back of the van was messy with clothes all over the place.
Downsides include:
  • Is it strong enough to hold everything we need in there?
  • I'll get no sense of achievement in making it myself.
  • It's not 100% customised to how I want it - although to be honest it pretty much does everything I was hoping for.
Jury is still out on this one - and I've not run it past Mrs Blakey yet either.  Anyone have any comments?  Anyone actually bought one and have review?

No comments:

Post a Comment