The California Beach

The California Beach

Search This Blog

Monday 15 March 2010

Cabinet Finished

Finally, after the best part of 4 days working on it I have finished my rear cabinet.  Well, mostly finish it anyway!  Here is the finished article in situ:


This weekend we put the doors on and installed a speaker in the side.




















I also replaced all the screws which I'd used to fit the piano hinges with counter sunk ones so that the front of the cabinet is smooth.  The reason for this is that I intend covering the whole thing with a wood veneer effect paper and so I'll be able to simply cover all the screws up and you'll not see them at all.

I bought and fitted some simple stud handles to the front of the two doors and added magnetic clasps to keep them shut.

On the inside I added a divider between the cool box section and the battery area, and then added a removable shelf above the battery and charger.  The makes use of the space above them whilst still being able to easily remove it for access to the battery.
















The bottom cupboard is where I'm currently storing things like my windscreen ice-prevention cover and other soft furnishings - anything that won't rattle.  When the mains hook up goes in, this bottom section will include a  double 240v socket on the outside, giving power to the inside of the van, plus a 240v socket internally into which I'll plug the mains charger, so that the leisure battery will be charged when the mains hook up is plugged in.
















All in all I'm really pleased with what I've achieved here.   I still have stuff to do:  As I say  I want to cover it with a veneer cover to make it look less like a plywood box.  I am going to add side hinges to the main door, so that it stops at a 90 degree angle - meaning we can use it as a lightweight table when pulled down.   I also need to cut holes in it to allow all the wires to be fed through into the right places when the mains hook up and split relay charge are added in a fortnight.   So there is more to do but we are nearly there.



1 comment:

  1. Your van journey started on March 15, 2010 and ended on March 15, 2010. Wow, that was a short journey. But typical of blogs. Lots of inspiration, then you say "wow, I think I'll start a blog"!, then you come back to earth.

    ReplyDelete