The California Beach

The California Beach

Search This Blog

Monday 15 March 2010

Curtains

Just been trolling through the Brickyard forum and found this thread on thermo mats for the rear of the van.    What a great idea.

Basically the idea is that you take some thermal bubble wrap - the sort of thing I used as part of my insulation job.   You then buy some blackout fabric and sew them together making warm, completely dark curtains.  Make them slightly bigger than the windows and then either edge them in velcro, or even better sew some magnets into the lining, and they can be easily attached to the edges of the window.  As I own a kombi I have a metal frame around the window so the magnet idea works well.

They'll have the advantage of being insulated (as that thermal bubble wrap is awesome), being totally black (blackout fabric is easy to acquire), very simple to put up (just use velcro or magnets to stick the curtain to the window frame), simple to roll up and stow when not in use (meaning no flapping curtains getting in the way) and dead cheap compared to the £130 I was budgeting for curtains.

Sweet.

I think I'll wait until the van is carpeted before sizing the blackout fabric, so I can cut them to fit the edges of the carpet neatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment