The California Beach

The California Beach

Search This Blog

Saturday 5 November 2011

Southern Europe - Day 1

A good start to the tour.

We caught the 10.20am Eurotunnel and were in France just before noon local time. A dull, dreary and drizzly day but seeing as all we had to do today was cover some miles that was fine.

We hit Northern France and within minutes were in the Sommes. Very tempting to stop and look around but that will wait for another day.

TomTom routed us south west and before we knew it we were in the middle of Paris. But 30 minutes later we were out the far side. How does that work? Imagine trying to cross central London in that time? We were also rewarded with a panoramic view of the Paris skyline at one stage which was mighty fine.

From there we headed on to the Loire valley where we have now camped up on the banks of the river in the very pretty town of Blois. Had a peek around the town (and a sneaky beer) and its a real find.

This is our first ever night of "wild camping" but it's not as wild as all that - just parked in an aire by the river. Still, we're not in a campsite and we're totally self sufficient with running water, electricity off the leisure battery and the internal heater to come if we need it.

It seems I've made a bit of a boo boo too. I've left the camera at home even after Mrs Blakey reminded me to pack it. Twice. Oops. Just have to hope the blackberry camera does okay.

Thing we noticed was good with the Cali today: because the kitchen is low you can access it all sitting down. Which meant no need to pop the roof at lunchtime. Definitely better than the old kitchen in the last van.

Time for a proper real ale carried from England I think.

Sent from my ZX Spectrum.

2 comments:

  1. I love you blog mate.

    Keep updating us, I will keep an eye every day. Also, I miss you in office, I need somebody to help eating my biscuits.

    Arun

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did mean love your blog. not you :)
    Arun

    ReplyDelete